We recognize that pleasant and satisfying working environments contribute to the development of the company, and therefore, good labor-management relations and the collaboration they engender are essential ingredients of such working environments. As of March 31, 2022, 100% of general employees from Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd. and its domestic group companies are members of the Sumitomo Bakelite Union (hereafter, “the Union”). 54.7% of all employees are covered by the company’s collective bargaining agreement.
Corporate-level meetings of the company’s senior executives and representatives of the Union are held twice a year at the head office. These meetings are valuable opportunities to cultivate favorable labor-management relationships by sharing frank views on the business environment and the Company’s operations. Major business sites also hold monthly labor-management meetings at which information about conditions in each department is shared.
As for health and safety, we aim for creating safe and comfortable workplaces through labor-management collaboration based on the provisions of the labor agreement. In fiscal 2021, the spread of COVID-19 made it necessary to use an online format in holding the annual labor-management meetings on occupational health and safety, which gather safety representatives from the Union across Japan. We also recognize that occupational health and safety is an important theme to monitor between labor and management. At Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd. along with its subsidiaries and affiliates with a labor union, provisions on health and safety are included in the labor agreements that establishes a formal agreement between the company and its labor union.
We are also putting effort into developing good labor-management relations at our overseas business sites. As of March 31, 2022, 16 out of 27 overseas business sites have labor unions, of which 15 have concluded labor agreements, while 9 have established arrangements on safety and health.
- 2024/02/01 Sustainability Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd. announces its establishment of “Human Rights Policy for the Group of Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd.”
- 2023/10/31 Sustainability Integrated Report 2023 of Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd. has been issued.
- 2023/06/21 Sustainability Selected as an iSTOXX® MUTB Japan Platinum Carrier 150 Index
- 2022/10/31 Sustainability Integrated Report 2022 of Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd. has been issued.
- 2022/10/14 Sustainability Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd. Receives Gold Medal in EcoVadis Sustainability Assessment
- 2022/05/27 Sustainability Participation in the 30by30 Alliance for Biodiversity