Sustainability Promotion Structure
Today, initiatives aimed at realizing a sustainable society are gathering speed around the world and the role of companies in these initiatives is increasing. Amidst this, the SDGs are a universal set of goals that both developing and developed countries are working to achieve. Japan, too, is advancing proactive efforts toward the SDGs.
Our Group has incorporated SDGs as one component of our corporate policies. We are aware of the influences that our corporate activities have on society, and of our social responsibilities. In order to meet these responsibilities, we propose, deliberate and decide on measures that contribute to the formation of a sustainable society, including those involving SDGs. We have established our Sustainability Promotion Committee in order to execute these efforts continuously and Company-wide, and have created our Basic Policy on Sustainability Promotion, under which we have begun a variety of initiatives with partnerships throughout our whole group. In strengthening our initiatives with respect to climate change, we have formulated Environmental Vision for 2050 (net zero), adding SDG 13 on taking specific measures against climate change to our Group’s priority SDGs, increasing our priority areas from “5+1” to “6+1”.
The committee passed a resolution of agreement with TCFD, and we have begun responding accordingly.
In addition, we will further promote our carbon neutral (CN) initiatives in the future. In July 2021, we reorganized the Environmental Impact Reduction Committee into the Carbon Neutrality Promotion Committee to strengthen and promote carbon neutrality.
At the same time, the Energy Conservation Subcommittee was reorganized into the CN Technology Review Subcommittee in order to promote activities that contribute to CN and to conduct more specialized research and studies on technologies that contribute to CN.
And moreover, we continue to pursue efforts with regard to corporate social responsibility (CSR) primarily through responsible care*1 initiatives centering on our Responsible Care Committee and Carbon Neutrality Promotion Committee. From our Corporate Management Department to our Research & Development Departments and each business site, we are engaged in a range of initiatives through Company-wide partnerships. Given the inseparable relationship between sustainability and CSR (because it is through executing our corporate activities while keeping mindful of sustainability that we fulfill our corporate social responsibilities), our Group intends to improve sustainability by undertaking various CSR activities contributing to SDGs.
Basic Policy for Promoting Sustainability
We solve social issues and achieves sustainable growth and value creation
under a structure comprised of our Sustainability Promotion Committee
(which is chaired by the President) and its subcommittees based on our
Business Philosophy, which esteems the Sumitomo’s Business Philosophy
and sets forth our management principles.
We regularly and comprehensively verify the extent of the progress made by these committees, based on which we continuously revise the contents of our activities and actively improve upon them. We widely announce the results of our activities within the company and outside it in aiming for communication with our stakeholders.
Policy on Responsible Care Activities of Group of Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd. Group
In all its operations, Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd. will contribute to the sustainable development of society while promoting business activities by meeting the highest standards of the Responsible Care concept and giving due consideration to environmental preservation, human health and safety as well as product quality.
- Evaluate the safety, health, and environmental aspects throughout the entire life cycle ofa product, from product design to the procurement of raw materials through disposal, strive to minimize the environmental impact of our corporate activities, and undertake to develop safer products and technologies;
- Make sustained, group-wide efforts to promote resource and energy conservation, waste reduction and biodiversity conservation;
- Perform Environmental, Safety & Health Audit and Quality Assurance Audit as well as work to maintain and improve systems for managing environmental protection, safety promotion and disaster prevention, worker safety and health, and quality management;
- Comply with all relevant laws, regulations and agreements associated with safety, health, the environment, and chemicals while autonomously establishing administrative rules with the aim of strengthening management capacity, so as to improve environmental, health and safety conditions for society, customers, and employees;
- Work to ensure and improve the safety of raw materials, products, transportation operations and process safety, and provide product safety information to employees, customers, and others;
- Promote continuous improvement in security over facilities, processes and technologies, and implement operational safety management programs to ensure the safety and health of employees and residents of local communities;
- Publicly disclose information on the environment, safety and products to and promote dialog with interested parties such as customers, employees and residents of local communities, so as to identify their needs and deepen mutual understanding and trusting relationship;
- In order to ensure environmental preservation, human health and safety as well as product quality, provide employees with training to develop necessary human resources for that end.
FTSE Blossom Japan Index
An index established by FTSE
Russell, a worldwide provider of
S&P/JPX Carbon Efficient Index
A joint-brand index for the Tokyo
Stock Exchange of S&P Dow
Jones Indices LLC and our stock
exchange group (JPX) selected
from among TOPIX shares, it is
weighted toward companies with
outstanding carbon efficiency
and environmental information
EcoVadis Sustainability Rating 2021: Gold
EcoVadis SAS was established in
2007 as an institution that evaluates
the ESG efforts of companies in
order to improve the environmental
and social practices of companies
across their whole supply
CDP “Climate Change 2020”
Established to carry out activities
seeking information disclosure
from corporations on their
greenhouse gas emissions and
efforts to counter climate change,
CDP has been measuring and
managing the environmental
impact of industry since its start
ACDP Water Security 2020
CDP Water Security is a program
seeking disclosure of information
on risks affecting water security.
BSOMPO Sustainability Index
In 2021, our Company was
selected for inclusion for
the second consecutive
year in the SOMPO
by Sompo Asset
Management Co., Ltd.
Next-generation Certification Mark (Kurumin)
In December 2015, we received certification
as a company that supports childrearing,
and have received the Next-generation
Certification Mark (Kurumin) for a second
- 2021/10/29 Sustainability CO2 emission reduction targets achieved ahead of schedule at all domestic sites
- 2021/07/15 Sustainability Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd. Receives Gold Medal in EcoVadis Sustainability Assessment
- 2021/02/17 Sustainability Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd. to support the recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD)